Saturday 15 February 2014

Go Pro

Product shots. They are the bane of my life.

I have limited time to attend to all my Shark Alley duties, and product photography and the ensuing editing and uploading take up an entire day.  I don't have a professional studio and just setting up the table with backdrops, camera, tripod and a light and reflector (usually a mirror or a piece of white paper - so pro!) takes a fair while.

When selling online, photographs are the ONLY thing a customer has to go on, and so getting them right is incredibly important.

PROFESSIONALS DON'T HAVE TO WORK THIS WAY!

In particular I was struggling with photographing the resin pieces on a white background, as the necklaces have white elements in them. These were just very hard to make work and required lots of patient effort in Photoshop afterwards.

Leaping Fox & Star Necklace

Unfortunately, I don't have oodles of cash to spare either, so making the decision to get a professional to take my shots felt quite huge.  I had three options and umm-ed and aah-ed over them for ages.  Eventually I decided to go with Brighton-based photographer Rory Townsend Seddon and his studio Capture Factory, mostly because it was on the doorstep and Rory was very good at staying in contact, then eventually enticed me with a good deal for the shots.


Flamingo Pendant

The joy of having 40 shots on a pure white background arrive in Dropbox last week was indescribable.  No Photoshop editing! All I needed to do was upload onto my website.  I'm really happy with them.  Rory was very receptive to all my comments and needs after the test shots had been taken, and the way he has arranged the chains on the necklaces look brilliant.

I need to save my pennies to get ALL my shots done this way.  And getting professional model shots would be a dream come true . . .

Leaping Hare & Star Necklace

Otter Brooch - detail

All jewellery shots by Rory Townsend Seddon at Capture Factory
Unit 4, Beaconsfield Studios, 25 Ditchling Rise, Brighton, BN1 4QL
http://www.capturefactory.co.uk/


No comments:

Post a Comment