Saturday 8 February 2014

I Heart Recycling

Shark Alley recycled labels
ORIGINS
Like most people of her generation born during WWII, my Mum learned to make do and mend rather than buy new things.

Yaaay

Growing up, we reused lots of things. My drawing paper was a long continuous sheet of computer print-out from Dad's work (how I longed for proper cartridge paper), we had a big craft box filled with things like toilet roll tubes, toothpaste boxes and milk bottle tops for when I wanted to get busy with making, and old bedspreads and t-shirts were used as picnic blankets and dusters respectively.

I don't know whether it's that influence, or my tendency to hoard useless, pretty bits and pieces, or the fact that as an artist, I don't have endless amounts of cash to splash about on materials, but I LOVE to recycle in my work.

 PAPER
The Metro newspaper gets made into something far more exciting

The mixed media brooches are made from a papier mâché base of recycled newspaper. They may then be decorated with patterned paper bags and reused gift wrap. I've also been experimenting with pages from old books and maps.  Even an old 500 lire bank note got used very effectively.  Stupidly I forgot to take a picture of this, but here are some other ones.

Leopard print paper bag and a bead from a bracelet bought in Capri.

Pages from an unwanted book.

I think that some papers are so beautiful, it's a shame to just chuck them away.  Why not make them into something usable and wearable, where they can be seen, admired and celebrated?

FABRIC
I feel the same way about fabric.  Having used lots of scraps over the years to make a patchwork quilt (currently nearing completion - see blog post here) I still get the greedy urge to snap up offcuts and remnants and transform them into something AWESOME.


Through my part-time job at U-Handbag I have learned how to make purses and can now use these offcuts to create little coin purses, with animal designs incorporated into the original fabric pattern.

Scampi Moo the otter nestles in some swirly embroidery

Hare transferred onto a beautiful Free Spirit fabric
Basket of purses - some on remnant curtains and cushion covers

STAMPS
Another benefit of working at U-Handbag was the brief access to a truly beautiful set of bird stamps from Hong Kong, which used to adorn packages of metalware.  I couldn't bear the idea of these going into the bin, so I rescued them and waited for inspiration to strike.  Which it eventually did.

The stamps are layered with Japaneses chiyogami paper and resin and the pendants end up looking quite 3D.  I think the postmarks really add to the design, although on some of the stamps they had actually obliterated the birds' heads.

Sadly, as soon as I'd found a use for them, they stopped sending them.

PLASTIC BAGS
In another throwback to my childhood, I remember Mum making a Christmas wreath from Marks & Spencer and Laura Ashley bags (bright green and dark green respectively) cut up and knotted around a coat hanger.  This thing was indestructable and spent many Christmases adorning our front door.

Could I recreate this marvel?  Hmmmm. You betcha.


I used red foil sweet wrappers to make holly berries and pieces of ribbon to decorate the wreaths.

PRACTICAL RECYCLING
In the spirit of not wasting anything if I can possibly help it, Shark Alley otters are currently being stuffed with the insides of IKEA cushions which have seen better days.  This stuffing is excellent - really dense.


I also recycle packaging to send out orders, which means I don't have to charge customers for packing.


 BLOGS
Shark Alley gets a mention on a couple of recycling blogs.  Whoop whoop! 






No comments:

Post a Comment