Saturday 5 April 2014

Colour Is The New Black

Double inspiration this week.

Firstly, a happy find on Facebook - a friend shared this:

http://wesandersonpalettes.tumblr.com/


This blog features stills from Wes Anderson films distilled into gorgeous simple colour palettes.  I love it!

Then last weekend, I sat up to watch The Woman In Black on TV.

See - it actually says 'DON'T WATCH IT ALONE'.

Now this, dear reader, is one scary movie if, like me, you fear faces at windows, shadowy distant figures exuding menace and horrid jolting shocks.  As I'd seen it before in the cinema, I stupidly thought I could handle watching it again (alone), but how wrong I was.  I had to change channels three times before eventually giving up altogether and then passed a restless night reliving visions of sinister faces at windows and feeling chronically unable to get up to go to the loo.

When I was able to peer at the screen without going completely batshit, I noticed what a gorgeous colour palette this film had.  Full of cool and murky blues and greens, with loads of black of course, but then unexpected touches of purple, gold and red.  It inspired me to do my own film colour palettes.

So, may I present The Woman In Black - Colour Palettes.

This is a beautiful composition and I love all the variations on grey
Daniel Radcliffe's complexion is also very cool and grey
All the warm colours here come from skin tones, but they are pinging off the greeny blues
Loving this different set of colours - and hurrah for the brilliant Janet McTeer
All the brights here are located only in a couple of spots in the shot, but your eye goes straight to them
This is my favourite - love the shades of purple and violet
I'd definitely given up and gone to bed before this point.

Respect to the people who work so hard to create these beautiful scenes, sets and backgrounds - I'm sure lots of people don't notice them, but subconsciously they must affect the mood of the viewer. This was so much fun - I'm definitely up for doing more if I notice more great colourways on screen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment