Saturday 29 March 2014

London Calling

London has been calling.

Just for a day to myself, mooching round the shops (for getting material supplies and inspiration NOT clothes and fripperies, you understand!)  A nice break from HAVING to be somewhere and SHOULD be doing something.

Wednesday was earmarked as getaway day -  and it went something like this.


Then just around the corner. 


There are lots of lovely fabric shops in Berwick Street, but I was after one in particular.  I got a fabric from Biddle Sawyer Silks a couple of years ago which I made into many very popular purses, so I was after some more.


Sadly they didn't have it, but the staff were really friendly and I found lots of other great fabrics.  Highly recommend this shop!


Then onto an English classic. I love Liberty for the pure experience.  The building is beautiful and all the things they sell are so enticing. I had to rein in the urge to buy though - it's just a bit too pricey for me.


Wow!  After all that I need lunch.  I wanted to go to a great looking Lebanese canteen in Broadwick Street, but it was rammed.  Fortunately Mildreds vegetarian restaurant had a table for one I could squeeze into.  The food is so good - shame I couldn't finish those last few sweet potato chips.


Right!  Onward!  With bulging tummy.

Much fondling of fabrics here, but with most of the ones I stroked coming in at upwards of £30 a metre, it was back to the remnants box for me.  I did unearth a lovely piece in there though, so job done.

I don't think I've got enough time to go to the V&A, so Plan B kicks in - back through the rain and onto the tube to Victoria to visit my mixed media mecca - bookbinding supply shop Shepherds.  The first time I went there and saw their paper, I nearly cried.  Can I get this last bit of shopping done before my train leaves at 4.06?  Not when Shepherds has a huge basket of chiyogami scraps for me to riffle through.  Uh oh.


All this indulgence has meant I've missed my train.  Oh well - back to Plan A, South Kensington and the V&A shop.  This is always worth a visit and is great for stocking up on unusual little gifts -  great books and bargain jewellery. It also showcases well-priced work by lots of different jewellery designers.  This is how I discovered the genius that is Ayala Bar.

(OK OK, I bought some earrings.)


Now I have officially had ENOUGH. My back hurts and so do my feet.  Such a relief to get on the train to Brighton (the comfy Gatwick Express version - oh goodie) and the deeply pleasurable exploration of the bags for the review of the purchases (all the time trying to forget about the tortured wallet, naturally).  

Now I can't wait to get into the studio and start making.


No comments:

Post a Comment