Saturday 31 May 2014

Léa Stein

Léa Stein.  Have you heard of her?

Well I hadn't, until several customers asked me if she was an influence on my work.  Intrigued, I Googled her and saw exactly what they meant. Now I'm smitten.

My favourite brooches are her cats and foxes.



Léa Stein was born in 1931 and began making her brooches in the 1960s, although they look very Art Deco - as if they were made in the 1920s.  She worked with her chemist husband Ferdinand Steinberger to develop a way of laminating cellulose acetate, and this process enabled her to incorporate fabrics and different textures into the pieces.


She is very collectable now, with brooches going for upwards of £40-£80 per piece, although not that long ago you could pick them up for a few pounds according to one of the ladies I spoke to.

I love the patterns and simple shapes - especially the fox's 3D looped tails.  I did actually pick up two foxes on eBay, which I'm very proud of.  They are such magnificent items, and definite statement pieces, as they're much bigger than you imagine - about 10cm long.

 


Maybe they'll be worth £100s one day!  I wish I could have afforded one of the really decorative patterned ones though.

I also can see her influence in some of Tatty Devine's pieces, particularly this gorgeous fox.


No comments:

Post a Comment